Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.
The jurisdiction of the Committee on Rules and Judiciary encompasses, and the Committee shall:
(1) have jurisdiction over all boards and commissions not specifically these Rules to delegated to another committee and make specific findings and recommendations to the appropriate authority for final action;
(2) receive, consider and make recommendations on all appropriation bills for the expenses of the Legislature;
(3) receive complaints against members of the Legislature, make recommendations on disciplinary action;
(4) make a continuing study of the organization and operation of the Legislature and recommend improvements in the organization and operation, with a view toward strengthening the Legislature, simplifying its operations, improving its relationships with other branches of the Government, and enabling it better to meet its responsibilities under the Revised Organic Act and laws of the Virgin Islands; receive, consider, and make recommendations before reporting out for placement on the Floor agenda all bills favorably considered and reported out by other committees, including those bills reported to the Floor agenda under closed rule;
(5) receive and consider recommendations from the Code Revisor for bills to correct obvious errors, eliminate inconsistencies, duplications and laws repealed directly 29 or by implication, or laws adjudged unconstitutional or otherwise invalid, and bills for modernizing the Virgin Islands Code;
(6) receive a consider all bills for resolutions amending the Rules of the Legislature;
(7) receive, consider, and make recommendations on nominations for offices that are made by the Governor and require confirmation by the Legislature;
(8) receive and consider bills related to family law, estate law, probate, business and corporation law, administration of the territorial court system and administration of the election system;
(9) receive, consider and make recommendations on bills relating to any other board, commission or agency whose operation or nature of business is relevant to the operation of the Committee on Rules and Judiciary; and
(10) by motion made in the Committee, subject bills to a closed rule, which prohibits any substantive amendments to the bill during Floor consideration.
03-09-2023 | Committee on Rules and Judiciary Part 2
03-09-2023 | Committee on Rules and Judiciary Part 1
04-11-2023 | Committee on Rules and Judiciary